Monday, December 17, 2012

The Mystery of the Missing Mafioso...


Hi All,

I don't usually post in a serious and personal manner, but I would like you to know why I've been so low-profile lately. (Those of you who have befriended me on Facebook may already know all of this stuff, in which case you can traipse off to read other blogs!)

In the summer, my wife Marie, after suffering hearing loss in her left ear, was diagnosed with having a cholesteatoma. My best description of this little bugger is that it's a non-malignant but bone-eating ear tumor. In Marie's case, surgery to remove it in August showed that it had wreaked havoc, destroying her hearing bones. Worse still, it had eaten into the dura mater, which is the lining that surrounds and shields the brain. The surgeon saw brain tissue leaking into the ear cavity. The upshot was that she needed reconstructive brain surgery--and that took place this past Wednesday, the 12th.

After such surgeries, it is necessary for the patient to spend some time in the ICU, to monitor potential brain swelling. Marie was there for three days, during which time I named her the "perkiest ICU patient ever." She has since moved to a regular room in the hospital, with the hope that she will go home today.

I have been doing my best to support her, as well as ensure that the lives of my three sons remain as normal as possible. Hence my spotty internet presence. I know you'll tell me to chill, but I do feel bad that I haven't been replying to your comments--or worse, visiting your blogs these past few weeks. I so value the sense of community our Marvelous Middle Grade Monday has created!!

While Marie recovers at home, I've decided to put Middle Grade Mafioso on hold until the new year. (It's time for a holiday break, anyway.) I send you my best wishes for the holiday season and for 2013. Right now, the Don's carving slices of panettone, which we intend to eat in your honor. So to all of you: Buon Natale e felice anno nuevo! See you in 2013!!

16 comments:

  1. All of the best wishes for Marie's improvement. Take care of yourself while you are taking care of everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you lots of positive thoughts for Marie's recovery! I'll look forward to your posts again after the break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so sorry Michael for what Marie and you have been going through. My husband has chronic health problems and been to ICU and surgery too many times so I know what you're going through. So glad she's doing better.

    Take care of your family and yourself. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, I will keep you and Marie in my prayers and thoughts...such a thing to go through....
    may you find peace during this Christmas week
    and may blessings shower your family this coming new year
    ...take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and your family and hoping you have some special times together in the coming weeks. Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a thing to go through. Thinking of you and your wife, and sending extra squishy hugs for her recovery. Take care of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very happy to hear the surgery went well. Wishing her a speedy recovery with no complications. I'm glad she'll be able to be home for the rest of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear that, wishing her a speedy recovery and you and your family a lovely, restful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you guys get her back today, and I hope she recovers without any more complications.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this. Sending loads of good vibes and prayers to your wife for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will pray for a successful recovery for Marie and a return to normalcy for your family. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for bringing us up to date, Michael. Here's to a speedy recovery at home for Marie, and to a wonderful Christmas for all of you. So glad she doesn't have to spend Christmas in the hospital!

    As someone who's had her share of hospital stays (including having my own brain monitored for swelling!), I can sympathize with your wife. That sounds like a scary ordeal for all of you, and your boys are lucky to have you there. I'll see you in the New Year. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Michael, I had no idea! I'm so glad she's home and recovering. What a crazy time it's been for you all! Yes, definitely take a break. I'll be praying for your wife that she recovers quickly. Have a wonderful and restful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude. I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how stressful this year must've been for you. Take care of you and yours. Blogging and writing can wait. Here's hoping 2013 treats you better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy, I'm behind on blog reading and just now seeing this a couple weeks after you wrote it. One of my friends had a similar tumor and lost her hearing in one ear. So frightening for you both, and I'm sending you lots of healing energy. Take care, and wishing you and Marie a healthy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my. Sorry to hear of this. I've been out of the blog world for a few weeks, too, and so am playing catch up. Please offer your wife my wishes for a speedy recovery. And you are right---the blog world can wait. Family first.

    ReplyDelete

Youse got something to say? Well, say it then. (The Don and I will shoot you... a personal reply, that is. But if we can't find your e-mail, we'll just reply in the comment box.)