Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cybils Redux


Remember last year, when the Don released me from his service for a couple of months so that I could plow through 150 or so middle grade books? (The librarians at my local library got to the point where, when they saw me walk in, they would chant a joyful chorus of relief because my requests were literally weighing down their hold shelves.) I was a round one panelist for the Cybils (Children and Young Adults Bloggers' Literary Awards)--and it was a complete hoot!

This year, I've gone one better. I'm a round two judge, which means that, starting in January 2013, I will read the nominated shortlist, winnowed down to about six or seven titles by the intrepid first round panel, some of whom I know (Hi, Jill the Owl and Deb Marshall) and some of whom I'm looking forward to meeting (Kyle KimmelAmy KoesterAli Breidenstein, and Art Spencer.) Everyone knows our major domo, Karen Yingling, whom I believe to be the most voracious--as well as the most judicious-- reader on the planet. If you haven't yet done so, check out her amazing blog, Ms. Yingling Reads.


Ms. Yingling, doing a spot of time travel
In the round two panel, Jennifer Donovan was a fellow panelist last year (Hi, Jen!). I'm looking forward to getting to know the other three: Cameron Kelly RosenblumAndi Sibley, and Freya Hooper

Hopefully, all of you MGMafioso readers have got an idea of a book you'd like to nominate. Here's how to do so, from the Cybils FAQ page: 

Can anyone nominate?
Yes, anyone may nominate one book per genre during the nomination period. We post an online form from Oct. 1-15 every year.
Which books are eligible?
Any books published between the end of one contest and start of another. For 2012, that means books released between Oct. 16, 2011 and Oct. 15, 2012. This year, we are also accepting nominations for book apps for iPad, Web or computers.
Does it help if a book has lots of nominations?
NO! In fact, the online form will kick the nomination back if a book's already been listed. It needs to get on our radar only once for consideration. After that, it's up to the judges.
So ~~ Start your engines. Cybils season is upon us!!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh. Major domo! Thanks for the kind words this morning. It looks like we have two awesome panels, so I can't wait until the nominations start rolling in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the promotion :).
    I'm sure your family appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun :)
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great way to learn about loads of books I wasn't aware of before. Have fun and I look forward to hearing the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I've never heard of this before. I'll be thinking of books to nominate :)

    ReplyDelete

Youse got something to say? Well, say it then. (The Don and I will shoot you... a personal reply, that is. But if we can't find your e-mail, we'll just reply in the comment box.)